Ronald P. Hanes
Ronald P. Hanes is a partner with Trombley & Hanes, P.A. and has been with the firm since 1994. Ron has been a lawyer for over 30 years and for the last 20 years has represented clients facing federal grand jury investigations and trials, state criminal charges, and complex federal and state civil litigation.
Ron was born in Indianapolis, Indiana, and has lived in Tampa since 1977. Ron received his undergraduate degree from the University of South Florida, and law degree from the Florida State University College of Law, where he was a member of the Law Review and was an intern for Florida Supreme Court Justice Ben F. Overton. Upon graduation from law school, Ron was an Assistant State Attorney in Tampa, Florida, for over 10 years trying numerous high profile homicide cases, racketeering & trafficking cases, and presenting cases to grand juries.
As a defense attorney, Ron has been involved in countless federal grand jury investigations guiding clients through the complexities of the federal legal process, protecting his client’s rights and livelihood while responding to federal prosecutors and federal agencies conducting these investigations. Ron’s practice has involved most notably, the representation of individuals and companies who find themselves in the middle of federal or white collar crime investigations in the following fields – anti-trust, business crimes, bankruptcy litigation, securities, healthcare, defense contracting, tax controversies, banking and mortgage fraud, environmental law, public corruption, and deceptive trade practices. Many of these cases have involved parallel civil litigation and administrative proceedings in both federal and state courts.
Ron has also handled a number of high profile media cases ranging from allegations involving public officials to professional athletes who find themselves in the legal system. Though based in Florida, Ron has practiced throughout the United States in the representation and defense of his clients.
Ron is a member of both the Florida Bar and the Colorado Bar and is admitted to practice before the United States Federal Courts in the Middle and Southern Districts of Florida. Since 1995, Ron has been an “AV Preeminent” rated attorney, the highest rating available for both legal ability and ethical standards by Martindale-Hubbell. Ron has been consistently selected for recognition in The Best Lawyers in America© and in Florida Super Lawyers. Ron has also been recently honored by the Trial & Litigation Section of the Hillsborough County Bar Association with the “James H. Kynes Memorial In the Trenches Award” for excellence in criminal litigation. Ron has been active in many civic and legal organizations over the years and has also assisted in establishing a scholarship at Florida State University College of Law for law students seeking a career in the criminal justice system.
Honors & Recognition
- “AV Preeminent” Attorney rating by Martindale Hubbell since 1995
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America each year since 2009-2017 (White Collar Criminal Defense)
- Selected to the Florida Super Lawyers list (Thomson Reuters) each year since 2010 (Criminal Defense: White Collar)
- Recipient, Hillsborough County Bar Association Trial & Litigation Section “James H. Kynes Memorial In the Trenches Award” for excellence in criminal litigation (2014)
- Judicial Nominating Commission for the 13th Judicial Circuit (2006-2010) (appointed by Governor Jeb Bush)
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (Board of Directors, 2001-2003)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association Trial & Litigation Section (Chair, 2010-2011)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (President, 2001-2003)
- The Florida Bar Criminal Procedure Rules Committee (1995-1997)
- Grievance Committee, U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Herbert G. Goldburg-Ronald K. Cacciatore Criminal Law American Inn of Court (President, 2007-2008)
- Florida Attorney General Transition Team (2010-2011)